Michael McDowell: Barnier's invitation for an imaginative solution to North-South ties
The Brexit negotiator's words were encouraging and offer a great opportunity for us all
The warm and attentive reception given to Michel Barnier by the two Houses of the Oireachtas underlined the seriousness of Brexit as an issue for Ireland, and the Irish hope that Britain’s departure from the EU will take place on terms that will not set back the political settlement on this island and the economic hopes of the two parts of Ireland.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive