Banning unvaccinated kids from school is sure to backfire
Making vaccination mandatory won’t persuade distrustful people to trust the system, and could just end up making things worse
The Minister for Health, Simon Harris, supports a ban on unvaccinated children attending school. Last week, a newspaper poll found that seven in ten adults agreed. Globally, vaccine hesitancy is spreading. There have been measles outbreaks worldwide. People here are worried. A general election is in the offing. Ministers will need policy announcements that are easy to explain and ready-made popular.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.