Michael McDowell: 'A cowardly government will select a new Chief Justice through a squalid little beauty parade'
This move is a grubby capitulation to the ill-informed obsession of Shane Ross
In a grubby capitulation to the ill-informed obsession of one minister, our weak-kneed, frightened government has decided to appoint a three-person committee, consisting of the President of the Court of Appeal, the Attorney General and the chairperson of the Public Appointments Commission, to advise it on the issue as to who should succeed the current Chief Justice, who will retire in August.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.