A budget wrapped around an election
Did Michael Noonan’s budget last Tuesday try too hard to please everyone?
In late 2010, as the late Brian Lenihan jnr unveiled yet another budget of biting austerity, he walked into the Oireachtas television studio to debate Michael Noonan on live television. Noonan, who had just been reinstated to the Fine Gael front bench following a botched coup against Enda Kenny, calmly and methodically filleted the budget. He argued that Lenihan, in his haste to make the numbers add up, had not “politically costed” the budget.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive