Yahoo sells web business to Verizon Communications
One-time internet leader had fallen behind rivals Google and Facebook
Yahoo has agreed to sell its main web businesses to Verizon Communications for $4.8 billion, ending a two-decade run as an independent company that took it from Stanford University start-up at the dawn of the internet age to also-ran behind nimbler online rivals such as Google and Facebook.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.