Timeline: how the Border Fox was finally run to ground
October 13, 1987: four armed men storm John O’Grady’s home in Cabinteely, south Co Dublin, at 9pm. His wife Marise and three children (aged six, 12 and 13) are held captive at gunpoint for 16 hours. Dr O’Grady’s father-in-law, Professor Austin Darragh — a wealthy medical entrepreneur who was the radio doctor on The Gay Byrne Show on RTÉ Radio 1 during the 1980s — is the intended victim of the kidnapping, not the Dublin dentist. When the armed gang realise Darragh has moved out of the house and O’Grady has moved in, they make tea and consider what to do. O’Grady is kidnapped and a £300,000 ransom is demanded for his freedom.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive