Outlook 2017: If you thought 2016 was bad...
Matt Cooper takes a look at what the new year has in store for us
The year just finished proves that anybody professing to be an expert in the predictions business is a charlatan. There was nobody without skin in the game who forecasted Brexit and the election of Donald Trump as US President and even then they may not have really believed what they were advocating. There were even some this time last year in Ireland who were wondering if, allowing for some pretty unlikely winds of electoral fortune, Fine Gael could win an overall majority in our February 2016 general election. Look how that turned out. So, predictions? That’s a mug’s game.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive