The spring tide of Irish nationalism – how Ireland was lost in the 1918 conscription crisis
The introduction of compulsory military service here during World War I damaged British governance in Ireland and the Irish Party and boosted support for Sinn Féin and the Irish Volunteers, writes Dr William Murphy
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive