Scouting Ireland under spotlight over review of historic abuse files
Katherine Zappone, the Minister for Children, has written to Scouting Ireland to ask them for a meeting to raise the issue of a 2012 historical review of its files that turned up only eight issues. The spotlight is shining once more on the organisation’s records of child sex abuse in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s after child safety expert Ian Elliott’s review of its historic files turned up 108 alleged abuse victims and 71 alleged abusers. Elliott last week told the Oireachtas committee on children and youth affairs that the number was likely to grow.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.