James McDermott: The risk of criminalising recklessness
We should think hard about making it a crime for people to put themselves in situations from which they need rescuing
Forrest Gump’s mother put it best when she observed that “stupid is as stupid does”. The wisdom of these words was highlighted again last week when a small number of citizens decided that the appropriate way to meet Storm Ophelia was head-on, with sea swimming taking place in Salthill, kite-surfing in Louth and sailing in Wexford.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive