Revisiting Pluto’s planet status debate
Pluto failed to pass the third of three conditions to be considered a planet in the Solar System
The debate has raged since Pluto lost its status as a planet in August 2006. The meeting of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) was expected to decide if Eres and possibly some other objects should be upgraded to planet status. Instead, in what is easily the most attention an IAU meeting has ever received from people that don’t use pocket protectors, they made the call to downgrade Pluto to that of a dwarf planet.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.