Power brokers and pub brawlers
Matt Cooper looks at some of the people who figured prominently in the past year
Leo Varadkar’s elevation caught attention internationally in a way that didn’t happen at home: the country that introduced same sex marriage only two years earlier was not going to make a fuss about the election of our first gay taoiseach. We were too cool for that. Nor did we want to be seen to be making an issue of the fact that his father was Indian. And so what that he’s relatively young and inexperienced, when he can be compared in looks and vitality to Trudeau in Canada and Macron in France?
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive