Pat Rabbitte: Are these people at all fit for government? The Mairia Cahill affair shows Sinn Féin hasn’t changed its spots
As the waves of the financial collapse wash over this state in a tide of negativity and anger, Dáil Éireann occasionally discharges its responsibility with distinction and dignity. Wednesday’s statements teasing out the implications of Sinn Féin’s treatment of the Mairia Cahill affair provided such an occasion. Members told a sober national parliament not just of their revulsion at what happened to Maíria Cahill but of their apprehension for the rule of law if the perpetrators of her abuse and their associates were ever to become influential in governance in this state.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.