Number at work above two million for first time since 2008
Administrative and construction sectors lead jobs growth, says CSO
Figures from the Central Statistics Office show that the number of people at work in the economy in the second quarter of this year rose to just over two million, an increase of 2.9 per cent or 56,200 compared with a year earlier. This is the first time the two million mark has been reached since the last quarter of 2008, CSO figures show.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive