Nadine O’Regan On Michael Colgan
Bullying and the parable of the boiled frog
What comes to mind when I think of women in Irish theatre? I think of the boiled frog parable. You know it. A frog that is placed in a pot of cold water will remain there, while the water is gradually heated up, not realising that it’s in trouble until it’s boiled alive. The proverbial boiled frog is a useful metaphor for the kind of problem that creeps up on you so gradually that by the time you realise you are in serious trouble, it may also be too late to save yourself. You may feel already lost.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive