Michael McDowell: Nama can’t wriggle and twist its way out of this scandal
The management and disposal of Nama’s assets demands accountability
There is something profoundly disturbing about a statutory body – owned and paid for by the taxpayer – coming to blows with an officer of state appointed under the Constitution to audit the finances of the state and of state bodies. The Comptroller and Auditor General (C&AG) is independent, and can only be removed from office for stated misbehaviour or incapacity.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive