Major bailout will be required for troubled teachers’ pension fund
The department is already paying €1.17 billion in superannuation lump sums and ongoing pension costs
Secret notes prepared for Mary Mitchell O’Connor show that the Department of Education is facing a pension time bomb that will require a major bailout of teachers’ retirement schemes.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive