Leo’s Big Gamble
The Taoiseach is placing all his hope on EU leaders standing firm and not selling Ireland out on the backstop
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has been acting like a modern-day version of William Wallace in the face of an all-out English assault. In Mel Gibson’s 1995 blockbuster Braveheart, Wallace had to urge his men to keep calm and stick to the plan as they faced a charge of English cavalrymen at the Battle of Stirling. He kept shouting at them to “Hold”.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.