Is our corporate tax system fair?
Back in the mid-1990s, I was a member of a small cabinet sub-group under the chairmanship of then finance minister Ruairí Quinn that settled on a recommendation that the corporation tax rate should be 12.5 per cent. I had been probing whether 15 per cent might not be a more appropriate rate. Sir Humphrey thought that 15 per cent would be “a very courageous decision, Minister”.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive