Irish households spend less on food and drink - and more on housing
The key facts and figures from the CSO's latest household budget survey
The average Irish household spent €845 a week in 2015/2016, an increase of 4.3 per cent on five years earlier, the Central Statistics Office said, as spending on food, alcohol and tobacco fell but the proportion of the household budget going on housing rose.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.