IMF warns first-time buyers’ grant will push up house prices
Scheme gives buyers up to €20,000 off the price of a new home
The International Monetary Fund has warned that the government’s flagship first-time buyers’ grant could lead to further upward pressure on house prices. The help-to-buy scheme, which was launched last month and gives buyers up to €20,000 off the price of a new home, may actually do little to increase the supply of housing, the fund said in its latest report on Ireland.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.