Garda culture shift yet to be witnessed
Despite promises of transparency and support, the culture appears not to have changed in the slightest
On May 8, 2014, the eve of the publication of the Guerin report, newly appointed Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald promised a new era of transparency and reform in An Garda Síochána. Alan Shatter, in the firing line over his handling of whistleblowers, had walked the political plank a day earlier. As if to mark a new era of accountability and change, Fitzgerald heaped praise on Sergeant Maurice McCabe for highlighting a litany of policing failures.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.