How Barrett plotted to sink Irish Times with €25m rival
Offer based on ‘mass exodus’ of editorial staff who were angry with high pay of management
Developer Richard Barrett of Treasury Holdings offered “€20 million to €25 million” to fund a newspaper to rival the Irish Times, reliant on a “mass exodus” of senior Irish Times staff, it has emerged.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.