Apple: Ruling has shaken the coalition to its core
How do you persuade the Independent Alliance to back a decision to return a cheque for €13 billion to Apple Inc?
Former taoiseach Bertie Ahern was always determined, if at all possible, not to upset what he called the apple tart. The decision of the EU Commission on the tax affairs of Apple has well and truly upset the apple tart that is our present government. Politically, how do you tell a population weary of austerity that the government intends to write ‘return to sender’ on the envelope when it arrives with a cheque for €13 billion from Apple?
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive