A worthwhile odyssey into familiar territory
Fiction: Ithaca, By Alan McMonagle, Picador, €14.95
Ireland may have got over the recession – that, at least, is our story and we appear to be sticking to it – but Irish writers, those stubborn refuseniks, have not. Recently, writers as various as Donal Ryan, Kevin Barry, Lisa McInerney, Sara Baume and Colin Barrett have reminded us that beneath the neoliberal gloss of contemporary Ireland, and beyond the Pale, lurks a country of stasis, deprivation and loss.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.