Selling the Pope
Remembered as a high water mark of Irish Catholicism, the Papal Mass in Dublin’s Phoenix Park on September 29, 1979 was the biggest public event ever staged in this country. Faced with the challenge of punishing deadlines, security threats and a meagre budget by today’s standards, the organisers delivered what became an indelible cultural memory to a live audience of more than a million people. As Ireland prepares for the visit of Pope Francis later this month, Francesca Comyn looks back at the epic preparations of 39 years ago
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.