One foot in the wave
James McNamara dips his toe into the world of surfing - and discovers you’ve either got it or you haven’t
‘Are you the world-famous surfer, McNamara?” the driver asks as I hand him my ticket. A cursory glance of my physique, my battered old pair of prescription sunglasses and the conspicuous absence of braided leather wristbands confirms I am not. I naturally assume I am on the receiving end of a mischievous welcome meted out to all pasty-faced tourists who arrive at Portugal’s Faro Airport.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive