Making the smooth from the rough
Helena Malone left a career in finance for the tactile joy of creating beautiful jewellery from the Earth’s metals
I’m sitting at goldsmith Helena Malone’s jeweller’s bench. I have managed to cut a straight line through a piece of copper – a remarkably satisfying process – but, in cartoon-esque fashion, the wire saw has pinged and split in half. I’m mortified, but Malone calmly replaces the blade while recounting a story of broken saws at the Crafts Council of Ireland’s Jewellery and Goldsmithing course in Kilkenny.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive