Latest dispatches from the quest to stay alive for ever
Science: To Be a Machine, By Mark O’Connell, Granta, €17
When Mark O’Connell first held his son in the National Maternity Hospital three years ago, his natural joy was mixed with some much less welcome emotions. He felt overcome by the baby’s physical fragility, doubtful about the wisdom of bringing it into such a dangerous world and frightened at the thought that death must eventually part them one way or the other. His wife summed it all up in a sentence he will never forget: “If I had known how much I was going to love him, I’m not sure I would have had him.”
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.