Isolation and loss at heart of rural fable
FICTION: This Family of Things , By Alison Jameson, Doubleday Ireland, €19
The unendingly rich seam that is rural and Irish family life is ably mined by Alison Jameson in her fourth novel. The setting is contemporary, but several of the characters – the bachelor farmer, his unmarried sisters, the drunken wife-beating father and his long-suffering wife – are lifted out of being clichéd tropes of a long-gone era by the quality of Jameson’s writing.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive