Is BMW jettisoning its old principles?
Does a four-wheel drive BMW 3 Series abandon all that enthusiasts love about the sports saloon?
Many motorists are completely unaware which wheels do the driving in their cars. In prolonged icy periods they may start to get a sense of it, but most of the time it’s irrelevant to most people. Car enthusiasts are quite different, and many love the sensation of a rear-wheel drive vehicle and its uncorrupted steering. Many others like the idea of ‘sporty’ rear-wheel drive, even if they never truly appreciate or explore its merits, though there are others that will never forget the sight of BMWs and Mercedes and other rear-wheel drive cars stranded at the side of the road a few years ago when we had one of the snowiest winters on record.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.