How to bridge the growing wealth gap
Non-fiction: The Great Divide. By Joseph E Stiglitz. Allen Lane, €34. Reviewed by Andrew Lynch.
At the height of the Celtic Tiger in 2004, Minister for Justice and future tánaiste Michael McDowell caused political outrage by declaring that nobody should worry about the gap between Ireland’s rich and poor. “A dynamic liberal economy like ours demands flexibility and inequality in some respects to function,” he said in an interview with the Irish Catholic. “It is the inequality that provides incentives.”
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.