Hire car hell can hamstring a holiday
Renting a vehicle abroad is a process fraught with pitfalls and frustrations – even if you know your onions
I write this on my way to Italy for a long weekend. It’s a holiday, not a work trip, so I’ve arranged to hire a car with my own money. I’m accustomed to the anxiety that is already starting to build up. I’m not worried about the weather; I have no qualms about the cleanliness of the Airbnb accommodation; and I fly frequently enough to not think about it (though nobody truly loves flying these days, do they?). No, I’m anxious that the hire car will be up to scratch.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.