Into the great wide open: What will 2019 have in store?
The fortunes of the motoring sector are becoming harder to predict, and this year we’ll see no further than the headlights
This coming week, the ‘191’ new car registration period begins and with it an awful lot of unknowns for the industry. Will buyers finally switch to electric vehicle ownership in big numbers? Will diesel sales continue to decline? Will the crossover/SUV still dominate the sales charts? Will people continue to worry about the potential effects of Brexit on our economy? Will used car imports continue to rise? I can’t answer any of those questions with any surety, and I’ve been commenting on this area for over 20 years.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive