Driving our way to a heavier carbon footprint
Carbon emissions alone present a massive challenge for the car market in Ireland – especially as everyone wants to go bigger
Earlier this week, I attended the Irish media presentation of the new Mercedes-Benz GLE, a very impressive big SUV with up to seven seats. The GLE was called the Mercedes M-Class and began life as quite a rugged vehicle, conceived to replace the Mercedes G-Class. This new fourth generation may look chunky and tough (and it has a seriously good 4Matic all-wheel-drive system), but step inside and you’ll realise that this is more luxury car than 4x4 workhorse. And that’s the way the trend has been going of late. Will the GLE effectively supplant the likes of the Mercedes S-Class from the hearts of luxury car buyers?
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.