Demand is good for affordable hot hatches
Kia GT has affordable price-point and quiet engine
As a fan of high-performance hatchbacks, I was always a little disappointed that Kia Ireland didn’t offer its first ever attempt, the cee’d GT, for sale here. It argued that demand was low for hot hatches and those willing to pay for the privilege are more likely to stick with established nameplates like GTI and ST. That hasn’t changed, but someone in Kia HQ back in Korea realised that there’s an opportunity to bask in the reflected glow of the full-on GT model, an opportunity that can be extended to all buyers at a far more affordable price-point.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.