The bright side of sweet Sauternes
Sauternes has been stigmatised as a dessert wine, but now it’s time for a revival
The wines of Sauternes were once the most expensive and sought-after in the world. The Holy Roman Emperor, endless popes, Louis XV and, most famously, US president Thomas Jefferson all adored the plush white wines of the rolling vineyards just south of Bordeaux.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive