“The very rich are different from you and me,” F Scott Fitzgerald is supposed to have said to Ernest Hemingway. “Of course they are, you bloody fool,” Hemingway replied. “They have more money.” We’re supposed to think that Hemingway got the better of this little exchange, but I’ve always thought it was Fitzgerald who was on to something. After all, the very rich certainly are different from you and me, and in one particular way: very rich people think of the world as malleable.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.