Appetite For Distraction
If Derry Girls is the best Irish comedy in years (and it is), why are we all cry-watching it? A scientific analysis
If Derry Girls is one of the funniest television programmes I’ve seen in an age, then why the blazes does it make me cry so much? There I am, shoulders shaking with mirth as the Child of Prague comes a cropper or poor, downtrodden Tommy Tiernan is called a “slack Southern bastard” by his Derry father-in-law, when a gale of laughter might be suddenly interrupted with a prickle of tears and a catch in my throat.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.