A forgotten year that shook the world
History/Politics; 1956: The Year in Revolt ; By Simon Hall; Faber & Faber, €27
Fuelled by an unprecedented post-war boom, the US was the wealthiest country on Earth in 1956. Yet the leader of the “free world” was home to an institutional system of white supremacy in its southern states.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive