The Tax Take with Brian Keegen
Give tax breaks where they will make a difference.
Listening to the pre-budget clamour, it is clear that the gap between tax and spend is being overlooked. The consensus seems to be that the gap will be €7 billion in 2015. If we didn’t have to borrow €7 billion in 2015 to keep the whole show on the road, the clamour might be justified. But €7 billion is the equivalent of 175,000 front line public service jobs. Such is the scale of our deficit, just for 2015, before contemplating any tax cut.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive