The Lucky Country, unlucky for some
The Irish inquiry into church-run, state-funded mother and baby homes is finalising its parameters.
John Michael Patrick Hennessey was born in an institution called Nazareth House in Bristol. His 24-year-old unmarried Irish mother was ''banished by the church in Ireland and took the boat to England to give birth in 1936.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.