INM's South African newspaper office damaged by fire

The offices of The Star, Independent News & Media’s largest South African newspaper, were damaged by a fire that started by a faulty microwave, the Star said.

3rd April, 2012
INM's South African newspaper office damaged by fire
South Africa's The Star newspaper.

The offices of The Star, Independent News & Media’s largest South African newspaper, were damaged by a fire that started in the advertising offices on the second floor because of a faulty microwave, the Star said.

While no one was harmed, journalists lost their computers, files and notebooks before trained staff and emergency services got the blaze under control, the 125-year-old Johannesburg-based newspaper reported.

Ceilings in various editors’s offices collapsed with the weight...

Subscribe from just €1 for the first month!

Currency

What's Included

With any subscription you will have access to

  • 971569B3-2C5E-4C45-B798-CEADE16987A8

    Unlimited multi-device access to our iPad, iPhone and Android Apps

  • 099C8662-C57C-42F2-9426-F2F90DF17C8F

    Unlimited access to our eReader library

  • 198AE43B-B9CF-4892-8769-D63C2104BA08

    Exclusive daily insight and opinion seven days a week

  • D8F37B78-25E4-4E4A-A376-4F5789B1564A

    Create alerts to never miss a subject that matters to you

  • B15F2521-37CD-4E02-B898-730A20D39F7F

    Get access to exclusive offers for subscribers on gifts and experiences

  • A564FE02-1AB8-4579-AF9D-BA32A2E5ACA7

    Get content from Business Post, Business Post Magazines, Connected, Tatler and Food & Wine

Share this post

Related Stories

The year in review

Legacy Richie Oakley 1 year ago

Newsround: What Thursday’s papers say

Legacy Leanna Byrne 5 years ago

More cycle routes, expansion of Luas to Bray and new bus network proposed

Legacy Digital Desk 5 years ago