Ewan MacKenna: They’ve had a good run, but RTE’s trio of ageing pundits are increasingly out of touch with football as it is played today
Business of Sport: The first down to greet you at reception was always John Giles.
The first down to greet you at reception was always John Giles. Small in stature, he towered in terms of intimidation to the point that you smiled at the refreshing notion that brains do sometimes trump brawn. He tended to be in RTÉ early on match days, sitting with an engineer in a shoebox room looking at footage. Revisiting clip A. Adding clip B to his highlight reel. All to illustrate point C. It made sense because, when Eamon Dunphy arrived later in the afternoon, the racket curtailed work.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.