EU ditches principles to massage expansionist ego
It was like the poor relatives being admitted secretly to the family gathering by the back door.
It was like the poor relatives being admitted secretly to the family gathering by the back door. They are allowed into the house, but as yet have to stay downstairs in the basement and are not allowed wander upstairs. This week, Romania and Bulgaria were officially admitted into the European Union – from January 1 next year - but with so many conditions that their entry is almost pointless.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive