Business of Sport
Ewan MacKenna: The League of Ireland needs to work within its limitations and not try to be what it can never be.
A handful of years back, a friend who was fanatical about his local League of Ireland club was struggling to come to terms with their demise. Having cheered them on across country and continent, he decided to act as they reached a precipice following a dangerous financial gamble. So he donated his life savings and began fundraising to the point where he played a major role in their rescue. His reward was a place on the board. Only it didn't last long. After just months, and despite his previous efforts, he left in frustration because he felt the same people were making the same crazy mistakes all over again, and refused to listen to sense or to the past.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.