After Sunningdale, the IRA was fighting the wrong war
For the best part of two years now this column has been calling for a unilateral act from the IRA.
For the best part of two years now this column has been calling for a unilateral act from the IRA. Last Thursday, that act finally took place. In time to come the republican movement will begin to appreciate why this should have been done a long time ago. Whatever about winning wars, winning the peace is what really matters. Now, minus the paramilitary army and all of the hiding room it gave to those who feared change, the level political playing field is at last in view.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive