A budget marked by sound judgment
Government must consider more than just textbook economic advice
If the members of the Fiscal Advisory Council had to stand for election, would they still proffer the same advice to government? The matter came up during the recent by-elections when the eminent members of the council, they may be surprised to hear, got the occasional mention on the doorsteps. They will not be surprised to learn that in these engagements I was the only one offering them half-hearted support.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive