Saturday April 4, 2020

Financial matters: Jill Kerby

Protect yourself in Australia

10th March, 2019
A backpacker plan might suffice for a gap-year student or independent traveller, but it won’t cover you if you’re working abroad Pic: Getty

Last week, red lights started flashing when I heard these words: “Don’t worry, Mum, we have it all sorted out.” They were said by my 25-year-old son, who declared: “We’re covered in Australia by a reciprocal health service agreement and we’re going to buy backpacker insurance.”

A comprehensive backpacker plan might be sufficient for the gap-year student or young person taking a year off to...

Subscribe from just €1 for the first month!

Exclusive offers:

All Digital Access + eReader



Unlimited Access for 1 Month

Then €19.99 a month after the offer period.

Get basic
*New subscribers only
You can cancel any time.



€149 For the 1st Year

Unlimited Access for 1 Year

You can cancel any time.




90 Day Pass

You can cancel any time.

Team Pass

Get a Business Account for you and your team

Related Stories

Most policies don’t include pandemics, so the government may be forced to step into the breach to share the burden, experts say

Peter O'Dwyer | 1 week ago

The Covid-19 outbreak has highlighted the importance of public health medicine, but the service is badly in need of reform

Priscilla Lynch | 1 week ago

The pandemic is a humanitarian tragedy, but it will also leave a lasting mark on the global economy with, currently, Europe being hardest-hit

Eugene Kiernan | 1 week ago