Monday September 21, 2020

State won’t co-opt all private hospitals in event of second wave

A more nuanced approach will see hospitals being approached individually to ease HSE waiting list backlog and deal with any future surge of Covid-19

Daniel Murray

Business Reporter

@danieltmurray
6th September, 2020
Paul Reid, chief executive of the HSE, said there had been a positive response to the tender Picture: Ferghal Phillips

There will be no centralised private hospital deal to succeed the previous emergency one struck at the height of the pandemic, the Business Post has learned.

In anticipation of a major surge in Covid-19 hospitalisations, the state took over private hospitals at the end of March at a cost of €115 million a month. The deal finished at the end of June and a transition arrangement was made, at a budget of €25 million, for...

Subscribe from just €1 for the first month!

Exclusive offers:

All Digital Access + eReader

Trial

€1

Unlimited Access for 1 Month

Then €19.99 a month after the offer period.

Get basic
*New subscribers only
You can cancel any time.

Annual

€200

€149 For the 1st Year

Unlimited Access for 1 Year

You can cancel any time.

Quarterly

€55

€42

90 Day Pass

You can cancel any time.

2 Yearly

€315

€248

Unlimited Access for 2 Years

This product does not auto-renew

Team Pass

Get a Business Account for you and your team

Related Stories

A new road map for living with Covid-19 has taken the back seat to the surge of cases in the capital as coronavirus fatigue sets in – and one doctor warns ‘medicine doesn’t have all the answers’

Danielle Barron | 1 day ago

Comment: There is so little slack in our health service that tough decisions, even ones that reverse previous positions, will have to be taken

John Crown | 1 day ago

IHCA president says HSE should build up its own capacity because of backlog already within private hospital system

Daniel Murray | 1 day ago